Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Whirlybird race report and hangover competition

This is my first time using a blog or anything like it, but people wanted a race report so here it is. We left Philly at a decent hour for race day because thankfully the C-race was slated to start at 10 am and the venue was only 30 mins away. On the drive over we all compared notes on the level of hangover and the hangover competition was a tie between Gerry and Brendan to be later decided in who would finish worse in their race. Both Gerry and Brendan did the C-race as well as honorary member Eian. Gerry got off to a good start and lead the first two laps with a pretty good gap proving once again that his blood flows better through his veins when thinned with alchohol. Brendan also did a fine job riding in top ten for the majority of the race until an untimely crash opened up his knee and spilled out what seems to be a tar like substance (luckily the UCI wasn't there because Brendan's blood look to thick not to be doped)So Gerry ended up 5th on the day (could have been 4th but a number of lapped riders thought it would be fun to block his way on the run up). Brendan finished 13th thereby winning the hangover competition here is a side by side comparison of the hangover face

Eian also rode a fine race. I am not sure if he was participating in the hangover competition but the expression on his face sure made it look like he was. However, as we learned last week, Eian has an uncanny ability to capture the classic suffer face right when the camera man snaps a shot of him. The rest of the race he just rides around with a smile I swear.

The next race was the B race where Mike Mast experienced the highs and lows of good form stuck behind a bad crash. Mike was the 3rd to last person through the first turn thanks to a crash that happened right in fornt of him on the start line.
Out of the 75 or so that started Mike's race He moved up through the field finishing a respectable 32nd given the 3 other crashes he was stuck behind.
Watching him during the race, he looked strong and kept moving up the whole time.
My race was next, and I have to thank everyone for sticking around to watch, it was great to have people cheering for me. I got a good start and was leading the first lap when Mike Yozell tried to take and inside line on a turn and crashed into me. we were both tangled up and found ourselves at the back of the group. Follwing Yozell up through the group was fun and educational but I definitely burned a lot of matches doing it. By the end of the race my legs were cramping up and I was having a hard time remounting after barriers as seen in this picture.

I ended up 10th on the day and felt good for most of the race. I felt so good that I was even attempting to blow kisses to the camera manAnd on a final note I want to thank My wife Jen and all who helped her in picking out and putting together my most amazing Birthday present (wheels pictured below)...Andy, Dan, Shane. It was a total surprise, they ride great, they look beautiful and give me a shit-eating grin every time.

1 comments:

  1. Great job guys! I love the commentary. Thanks for the cheers. See you next time.

    ReplyDelete

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise